Question, Is there any device for detecting counterfeit gold coins?

Numismatics, Rare, Collectables, Reviews & General Chat
TonyJ
Rank 5
Rank 5
Spain

Question, Is there any device for detecting counterfeit gold coins?

Postby TonyJ » 21 June 2016

Hi folks, I know of small special electronic scales, chemical detection methods and density measurements, but is there a small electronic device you can buy cheap which can detect, sample, test for counterfeit gold coins? I seem to recall seeing such a thing at a coin show years ago. I don't think it was just a scale, I have a few eBay coins to check.

Silver Rocket
Rank 5
Rank 5
Canada

Re: Question, Is there any device for detecting counterfeit gold coins?

Postby Silver Rocket » 22 June 2016

Not sure but this information helped me

10 Ways Protect Yourself From Fake Bullion Coins

http://www.investmentu.com/article/detail/26813/fake-bullion-coins#.V2md-I9OKUk

Bounty
Rank 6
Rank 6
United States of America

Postby Bounty » 22 June 2016

TonyJ wrote:Hi folks, I know of small special electronic scales, chemical detection methods and density measurements, but is there a small electronic device you can buy cheap which can detect, sample, test for counterfeit gold coins? I seem to recall seeing such a thing at a coin show years ago. I don't think it was just a scale, I have a few eBay coins to check.

Helpful video for you and just stick with the right trusted dealers that buy direct from the mints.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCWzT905ci4

Freddy
Rank 5
Rank 5
Great Britain

Postby Freddy » 08 July 2016

Always buyer beware, even an untrained person can quickly recognize the difference given a few minutes with the real thing vs a chinese fake. Most gold plating is very pure gold. If you don't see copper and silver, you can be pretty sure the coin is plated and not solid gold. I also can spot fake from feel and texture.

Tom Silver
Rank 5
Rank 5
United States of America

Postby Tom Silver » 13 July 2016

Freddy wrote:Always buyer beware, even an untrained person can quickly recognize the difference given a few minutes with the real thing vs a chinese fake. Most gold plating is very pure gold. If you don't see copper and silver, you can be pretty sure the coin is plated and not solid gold. I also can spot fake from feel and texture.

Freddy spot on.

Unless your willing to crack open the slab. PCGS and all GRADING services have been fooled by these counterfeiters in the past. The proof is in the diagnostics of sound, color, and the mismatch of die characteristics. It's really plain as day to those who handle these.

Silver Rocket
Rank 5
Rank 5
Canada

Postby Silver Rocket » 30 September 2016

we are ALL SUSCEPTIBLE if purchasing any graded or slabbed coin. Unless your willing to crack open the slab. PCGS and all GRADING services have been fooled by these counterfeiters. It's extremely rare but it has been done.

Return to “Gold Coins”