Gold coin proof, it's face value vs weight & purity?

Numismatics, Rare, Collectables, Reviews & General Chat
Freddy
Rank 5
Rank 5
Great Britain

Gold coin proof, it's face value vs weight & purity?

Postby Freddy » 04 July 2016

Any thoughts over, whether it's the face value printed on the coin (e.g. below) is more important in determining the selling price, or the weight and purity of gold are more important in determining the selling price? Various nations vary in value with the same weight, confusing for the collector.

awg2.jpg

SilverWarrior
Rank 4
Rank 4
United States of America

Re: Gold coin proof, it's face value vs weight & purity?

Postby SilverWarrior » 04 July 2016

The face value honestly means nothing. It is simply there so that the coin is "government backed." Really, those bullion pieces are simply a good way to stack precious metals at a low cost.

Bounty
Rank 6
Rank 6
United States of America

Postby Bounty » 04 July 2016

SilverWarrior wrote:The face value honestly means nothing. It is simply there so that the coin is "government backed." Really, those bullion pieces are simply a good way to stack precious metals at a low cost.

Hey Warrior, Like the name.

Totally agree, and why bother have the value. With modern gold coins, face value is almost meaningless you would think. The bullion/weight value will surely be worth more than the face value to most folks that understand Precious Metals. I'd look into investing in some of the older coins or graded PCGS. These should retain value, and even gain value in the future. Gold, Silver look hot this week but.

SilverWarrior
Rank 4
Rank 4
United States of America

Postby SilverWarrior » 04 July 2016

Bounty wrote:
SilverWarrior wrote:The face value honestly means nothing. It is simply there so that the coin is "government backed." Really, those bullion pieces are simply a good way to stack precious metals at a low cost.

Totally agree, and why bother have the value. With modern gold coins, face value is almost meaningless you would think. The bullion/weight value will surely be worth more than the face value to most folks that understand Precious Metals. I'd look into investing in some of the older coins or graded PCGS. These should retain value, and even gain value in the future. Gold, Silver look hot this week but.

Thanks, and yeah, you'd be much better off buying older pieces or at the very least, ones graded ms70.

Bounty
Rank 6
Rank 6
United States of America

Postby Bounty » 04 July 2016

SilverWarrior wrote:
Bounty wrote:

Thanks, and yeah, you'd be much better off buying older pieces or at the very least, ones graded ms70.

Your thoughts on PR70 vs MS70? value wise longterm.

SilverWarrior
Rank 4
Rank 4
United States of America

Postby SilverWarrior » 05 July 2016

Bounty wrote:
SilverWarrior wrote:
Bounty wrote:

I don't think it matters too much, as long as the company that did the grading is respectable.

Bounty
Rank 6
Rank 6
United States of America

Postby Bounty » 05 July 2016

Cheers, just watched your video here, good info bud. I do think Bullion should not be allowed to be graded!!!! This has caused problems from day one.

Thornside
Rank 5
Rank 5
United States of America

Postby Thornside » 07 July 2016

Bounty wrote:Cheers, just watched your video here, good info bud. I do think Bullion should not be allowed to be graded!!!! This has caused problems from day one.

The reality of the situation is less then 1% of the population has a clue whats going on . It disheartens me that so many good hard working people will lose there life's savings if this plays out. Pure gold 9999 is always better then any silly face value. Gold is the only way to protect yourself from the wealth transfer.

TonyJ
Rank 5
Rank 5
Spain

Postby TonyJ » 09 July 2016

SilverWarrior wrote:
Bounty wrote:
SilverWarrior wrote:

I don't think it matters too much, as long as the company that did the grading is respectable.

Do you like PCGS or NGC for grading? Face value vs weight & purity makes no difference to me personally. With this being said the proof coins are stunning!! When it comes to pure aesthetics in my opinion the proofs always look better than the BU coins, no matter if it's an Eagle, Libertad, Buffalo, etc.

Silver Rocket
Rank 5
Rank 5
Canada

Postby Silver Rocket » 15 July 2016

Bounty wrote:Cheers, just watched your video here, good info bud. I do think Bullion should not be allowed to be graded!!!! This has caused problems from day one.

Why not? The Gold Buff and The St. Gaudins are the best looking coins ever, hands down.

Return to “Gold Coins”