Price difference between gold proof vs gold Uncirculated coins?

Numismatics, Rare, Collectables, Reviews & General Chat
Gold Jodie
Rank 5
Rank 5
Canada

Price difference between gold proof vs gold Uncirculated coins?

Postby Gold Jodie » 07 July 2016

I'm a gold mining stock investor only searching for some answers, what is the best investment within the bullion coin market? Does proof command a premium resale value over the uncirculated? Specifically, I am referring to Gold Eagle coins. I notice the price difference can be substantial with proof MS69 vs PR69, any feedback?

2012-W-50-Proof-American-Gold-Eagle-Coin.jpg

Tom Silver
Rank 5
Rank 5
United States of America

Re: Price difference between gold proof vs gold Uncirculated coins?

Postby Tom Silver » 08 July 2016

Gold Jodie wrote:I'm a gold mining stock investor only searching for some answers, what is the best investment within the bullion coin market? Does proof command a premium resale value over the uncirculated? Specifically, I am referring to Gold Eagle coins. I notice the price difference can be substantial with proof MS69 vs PR69, any feedback?

2012-W-50-Proof-American-Gold-Eagle-Coin.jpg

Just my personal views, I personally like to keep it simple and practical, by sticking primarily with Bullion Coins no proofs. I prefer graded coins only for the simple fact that you know it's real gold and not some fake yellow coin, it's hard to trust someone when buying a coin, dealers surely don't check every coin supplied back from the public.

Golden Bull
Rank 5
Rank 5
Great Britain

Postby Golden Bull » 11 July 2016

Here is a great video on the topic

The Royal Mint produces three types of uncirculated commemorative coin finish: Proof, Brilliant Uncirculated and Bullion. Proof coins are the highest standard of commemorative coin produced by The Royal Mint. Brilliant Uncirculated coins have a higher standard of finish than Bullion coins, without the extra finishing and detail provided on Proof coins. Bullion coins have a similar standard of finish to circulating coins.

http://www.royalmint.com/discover/coin-collecting/striking-standards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GiMY-1LHR4

Freddy
Rank 5
Rank 5
Great Britain

Postby Freddy » 27 July 2016

Proof coins were originally made as a trial piece to see how a coin design looks in the best possible presentation. Nowadays, they are a collector coin gimmick and are made in huge numbers. I've only been stacking for a relatively short period and am going the low(est) premium bullion route. When/If it comes time to sell I would prefer any negotiations to be as simple and straightforward as possible.

Return to “Gold Coins”