Cleaning Old Coins

Numismatics, Rare, Collectables, Reviews & General Chat
Max Metals
Rank 3
Rank 3
Mexico

Cleaning Old Coins

Postby Max Metals » 02 April 2017

Every time someone mentions cleaning coins, the collectors all jump in with a panicked "never clean a coin!" What a crock. Most coins are not collectible coins, and what most of us want to know is the most efficient way to cleaning a load of common coins, not a few collectibles, without damaging them. Right now I'm in possession of about 100 pounds of quarters that I've saved over the years. I want to clean them so that I can start distributing them to the kids. All I want to know is the fastest, easiest way of cleaning them and shining them up for when I hand them over. Value is not an issue here... nor is it in almost every case when this question comes up.

Allenby
Rank 4
Rank 4
United States of America

Re: Cleaning Old Coins

Postby Allenby » 07 April 2017

doesnt this screw up the value of the coin?i think there are better ways to do this, right ...? or just not do it at all? i dont mess with my coins, i keep em as is... there have been a few silver ones ive cleaned but i talked to a professional about that. as far as getting dates back tho, i dont know much.

MetalsZone
Rank 5
Rank 5
New Zealand

Re: Cleaning Old Coins

Postby MetalsZone » 25 April 2017

Max Metals wrote:Every time someone mentions cleaning coins, the collectors all jump in with a panicked "never clean a coin!" What a crock. Most coins are not collectible coins, and what most of us want to know is the most efficient way to cleaning a load of common coins, not a few collectibles, without damaging them. Right now I'm in possession of about 100 pounds of quarters that I've saved over the years. I want to clean them so that I can start distributing them to the kids. All I want to know is the fastest, easiest way of cleaning them and shining them up for when I hand them over. Value is not an issue here... nor is it in almost every case when this question comes up.

If it is real silver get a cup and put a piece of foil in bottom. Then boil a a bit of water and pour it in. Finally quickly add baking soda and swirl it around until water cools to touch. Now just reach in and grab your clean silver.

Return to “Silver Coins”