Rank 4
Rank 4
United States of America

Philippine Silver Peso American Colonial Period

Postby SilverTorch66 » 21 September 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly4WyZQb0Ac

SilverTorch66 presents: Philippine Silver Peso American Colonial Period
During an R&R visit to the Philippine Islands this summer, I decided to Acquire some silver to add to my collection. This series of videos called "Silver Travel" will present my silver pick ups and of course include a little story about the history behind them.
From 1903 to 1912 there was a series of Silver coins produced by the United States after they acquired control of the Philippine Islands as a result of defeating Spain during the Spanish American War of 1898. This video will present the coins of this series that I acquired during my recent visit to the Philippine Islands.

The obverse, credited to Filipino sculptor Melecio Figueroa, features the standing figure of an adolescent Philippina wearing a long, flowing gown and holding a hammer in her right hand, resting atop an anvil. Her left arm is half raised and holds an olive branch. Behind her is a depiction of the volcano Mt. Mayon, …….an almost perfectly conical shaped volcanic mountain northeast of the capital city of Manila. Above the design you will find inscribed the denomination “ONE PESO” and below the word “FILIPINAS”.

The reverse displays the arms of the US Territories Shield, a broad winged eagle clutching an olive branch in its right claw and a bundle of arrows in its left, sitting atop a shield divided into two registers. The upper register has 13 stars, and the lower register has 13 vertical stripes. The date appears at the bottom, and "United States of America" appears at the top. To the left of the year may be a mint mark “S” for San Francisco. Coins with no mint marks were minted at the Philadelphia Mint.

Variety 1consists of the years 1903-1906 – its diameter is 38mm,the Silver Weight of this coin is 0.780 ounces (total weight is 26.956 grams and is comprised of 90% silver)
Variety 2: consists of the years 1907-1912 – its diameter is 36mm , the Silver Weight of this coin is 0.514 ounces (total weight is 20.000 grams and is comprised of 75% silver)

If you like this video, stop by my SilverTorch66 Channel at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4loxe ... m5P3F8qRHg and check out my other
content.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!

Tom Silver
Rank 5
Rank 5
United States of America

Re: Philippine Silver Peso American Colonial Period

Postby Tom Silver » 23 September 2016

SilverTorch66 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly4WyZQb0Ac

During an R&R visit to the Philippine Islands this summer, I decided to Acquire some silver to add to my collection. This series of videos called "Silver Travel" will present my silver pick ups and of course include a little story about the history behind them.
From 1903 to 1912 there was a series of Silver coins produced by the United States after they acquired control of the Philippine Islands as a result of defeating Spain during the Spanish American War of 1898. This video will present the coins of this series that I acquired during my recent visit to the Philippine Islands.

The obverse, credited to Filipino sculptor Melecio Figueroa, features the standing figure of an adolescent Philippina wearing a long, flowing gown and holding a hammer in her right hand, resting atop an anvil. Her left arm is half raised and holds an olive branch. Behind her is a depiction of the volcano Mt. Mayon, …….an almost perfectly conical shaped volcanic mountain northeast of the capital city of Manila. Above the design you will find inscribed the denomination “ONE PESO” and below the word “FILIPINAS”.

The reverse displays the arms of the US Territories Shield, a broad winged eagle clutching an olive branch in its right claw and a bundle of arrows in its left, sitting atop a shield divided into two registers. The upper register has 13 stars, and the lower register has 13 vertical stripes. The date appears at the bottom, and "United States of America" appears at the top. To the left of the year may be a mint mark “S” for San Francisco. Coins with no mint marks were minted at the Philadelphia Mint.

Variety 1consists of the years 1903-1906 – its diameter is 38mm,the Silver Weight of this coin is 0.780 ounces (total weight is 26.956 grams and is comprised of 90% silver)
Variety 2: consists of the years 1907-1912 – its diameter is 36mm , the Silver Weight of this coin is 0.514 ounces (total weight is 20.000 grams and is comprised of 75% silver)

If you like this video, stop by my SilverTorch66 Channel at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4loxe ... m5P3F8qRHg and check out my other
content.

man your channel rocks dude.

Good advice to sell once in a while just to know your buyers. I sold a mishmash of stuff not long ago to my LCS. Most of it was priced as expected. But I was very surprised when he put the Somali Elephant, a very handsome government bullion coin, in the same category as the generic bullion. He had never seen one.

SilverTorch66
Rank 4
Rank 4
United States of America

Postby SilverTorch66 » 06 November 2016

Thanks for your compliment about my channel. As far as the Somali Elephant coin, well Tom, it would be time to respectfully educate your LCS on that particular coin. There are so many world bullion coins, it is really hard to keep up with the obscure ones. I run into coins from the virgin Islands and South Pacific Island countries that I didn't know existed either. Many world coins are minted by contracted mints elsewhere in the world which even makes it harder to keep up. Just let your LCS know without putting him on the spot and he will re assess his value of the coin (hopefully) :-)

SilverSnake
Rank 4
Rank 4
United States of America

Postby SilverSnake » 21 February 2017

SilverTorch66 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly4WyZQb0Ac

content.

Love these coins , but they are becoming hard to find and the premium seems to be going up on them

SilverTorch66
Rank 4
Rank 4
United States of America

Postby SilverTorch66 » 11 March 2017

They are beautiful coins. I picked mine up in the Philippines where they are still reasonably easy to acquire.

Return to “Silver Coins”