Metal Detecting Tips: Common Detecting Mistakes

Detectors, Prospecting, Member Finds & General Chat
Allenby
Rank 4
Rank 4
United States of America

Metal Detecting Tips: Common Detecting Mistakes

Postby Allenby » 12 February 2017

I have a Garrett 250...with a 350 coil fitted and have been very pleased with it...a good all round machine...still haven't found a box of treasure yet...but we live in hope. Any tips for the newbie?

Also, what coil is better, open 10 inch or solid 4 inch coil?

CliffB
Rank 7
Rank 7
Great Britain

Re: Metal Detecting Tips: Common Detecting Mistakes

Postby CliffB » 12 February 2017

Allenby wrote:I have a Garrett 250...with a 350 coil fitted and have been very pleased with it...a good all round machine...still haven't found a box of treasure yet...but we live in hope. Any tips for the newbie?

. Hi Allenby, got a great machine there, I would stick with the 10" coil on sand and open pastures, but I have been told that the 4" coil is much better on freshly cut corn fields or iron infested sites, hope this helps mate

Lunar Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3
Italy

Postby Lunar Dragon » 21 February 2017

I plan on doing 4" for sure. my grip needs some covering. mine isn't waterproof so keeping mine clean is a pain. also I really like the jb weld on the magnet. I don't know why I never thought of that. my husband is very fond of that stuff. I've wanted a magnet on my shovel but had no idea how to attach one. thanks.

Allenby
Rank 4
Rank 4
United States of America

Postby Allenby » 26 February 2017

CliffB wrote:
Allenby wrote:I have a Garrett 250...with a 350 coil fitted and have been very pleased with it...a good all round machine...still haven't found a box of treasure yet...but we live in hope. Any tips for the newbie?

. Hi Allenby, got a great machine there, I would stick with the 10" coil on sand and open pastures, but I have been told that the 4" coil is much better on freshly cut corn fields or iron infested sites, hope this helps mate

Thanks for reply, enjoy your finds. 10inch is my current setup. Do you search often in your local area?

CliffB
Rank 7
Rank 7
Great Britain

Postby CliffB » 26 February 2017

Hi Allenby, lately I haven't been able to get out, due to my wife is being ill, I used to be out at least Saturday and Sunday for a few hours each day, thanks for liking my finds, it is a great hobby we have mate☺️

Return to “Metal Detecting”