Detectors, Prospecting, Member Finds & General Chat
CliffB
Rank 7
Rank 7
Great Britain

Lead artifacts from the Anglo-Saxon era

Postby CliffB » 25 April 2017

Hi all
Metal detecting is not just about precious metals like silver and gold.
I like finding lead artifacts, like Spindle Whorls, lately I have found quite a few of them, from different permissions, but both are from the Anglo-Saxon era (410 - 1066 ad) these double-sided patterned spindle whorls were used on spinning wheels to spin wool.
These are usually hard to date and a lot were used to the death, which meant that the type or pattern has been worn away with use.
These two belong to the Anglo-Saxon era making them both somewhere between 950-1600 years old, as these are made of lead, they don't have to be recorded, but in time I will donate my finds to our little muesium :)
Attachments
_20170422_201504.JPG
_20170422_201631.JPG

Thornside
Rank 6
Rank 6
United States of America

Re: Lead artifacts from the Anglo-Saxon era

Postby Thornside » 30 April 2017

Awesome. For over 600 years the Anglo-Saxons were settled in Britain replacing many of the Roman stone buildings with new buildings of their own. At the same time they brought Christianity to the country. The reign of the Anglo-Saxons came to an end in 1066 but they will be remembered not only for the vast political change they brought with them but for the amazing craftmanship and ornate artifacts and Jewellery that they left behind. They certainly earned their place in history !!

CliffB
Rank 7
Rank 7
Great Britain

Re: Lead artifacts from the Anglo-Saxon era

Postby CliffB » 02 May 2017

Hi Thornside
They did do a lot for the country, but the best thing they ever did was to bring finesse and a artistic flare to everything that was made in the 600yrs that they rule

Return to “Metal Detecting”