I want to start investing in Silver?

Bullion, Mining Stocks, News, Information & General Chat
Tom Silver
Rank 5
Rank 5
United States of America

I want to start investing in Silver?

Postby Tom Silver » 26 June 2016

With all this Brexit fallout, I was thinking about investing in Silver for some market protection within my stocks portfolio. I have about $9,000 to invest in silver and was just wondering how I should get started as a newbie with very little understanding of Precious metals.

I need some basic support for example:

a. For buying silver from a online dealer (Bullion/Coins for example), what is a fair mark up to take into consideration when buying?

b. For silver bullion bars, do the pictures or mints that process the silver/product affect the value of that particular item, like is one better then the next for resale value?

c. Would it be better to buy in smaller amounts first, or buy all the amount at the same price and sit and wait?

Any other tips or information for a first time investor would be much welcomed, cheers.

MetalsZone
Rank 5
Rank 5
New Zealand

Re: I want to start investing in Silver?

Postby MetalsZone » 27 June 2016

Best step you can make. I personally would not look at gold and silver as "investments", I would look at them as a store of value. Bars are generally the cheapest at current spot prices, followed by coins. Make sure you secure 999 or 9999 grades where possible.

Thornside
Rank 5
Rank 5
United States of America

Postby Thornside » 06 July 2016

I buy the cheapest ounces I can find whatever they look like, to me silver is real money. Better in useable coin form than bars, try sawing an ounce of a 5 kilo bar to buy groceries.

Golden Bull
Rank 5
Rank 5
Great Britain

Postby Golden Bull » 11 July 2016

The fact that people are ignorant about the future value of the US Dollar vs. gold/silver is unfortunate for them. Doesn't make it any less true. A silver coin is universal currency in hard times. When bad luck strikes (war, economic collapse, natural disaster) people are generally more interested in food, medical supplies, gold & silver. So in the next collapse, people will awaken and blame fiat and go back to hard assets.

Gold Jodie
Rank 5
Rank 5
Canada

Postby Gold Jodie » 18 July 2016

Thornside wrote:I buy the cheapest ounces I can find whatever they look like, to me silver is real money. Better in useable coin form than bars, try sawing an ounce of a 5 kilo bar to buy groceries.

Agree, Silver is insurance not an investment. Its for emergency barter. If your buying silver bullion, you should be buying with patience...not trying to flip anytime soon.

Silver Rocket
Rank 5
Rank 5
Canada

Postby Silver Rocket » 12 October 2016

Golden Bull wrote:The fact that people are ignorant about the future value of the US Dollar vs. gold/silver is unfortunate for them. Doesn't make it any less true. A silver coin is universal currency in hard times. When bad luck strikes (war, economic collapse, natural disaster) people are generally more interested in food, medical supplies, gold & silver. So in the next collapse, people will awaken and blame fiat and go back to hard assets.

I took out a good bit of my money from S&P a while back, seeing it as overvalued in general, and put it in commodities and stocks that I believe were undervalued. At some point, I expect the markets to be the other way around. Owning physical precious metals seems to me a great way to prepare for contingencies, especially when those metal prices are so low.

Return to “Silver Council”