Bullion, Mining Stocks, News, Information & General Chat
CliffB
Rank 7
Rank 7
Great Britain

How do you pick your next Bar?

Postby CliffB » 22 August 2016

Hi all,
As a novice to buying Silver bars, how do you pick your next purchase or is it a case of you stick to one type of mint, or is it a case of price, or is it the look of the bar you want that draws you to buy?
I am keen to find out if you are one of the above or is it something else that draws you to buy, i know what is next for me, hoping for a good debate :?:

Gold Bird
Rank 5
Rank 5
Australia

Re: How do you pick your next Bar?

Postby Gold Bird » 23 August 2016

CliffB wrote:Hi all,
As a novice to buying Silver bars, how do you pick your next purchase or is it a case of you stick to one type of mint, or is it a case of price, or is it the look of the bar you want that draws you to buy?
I am keen to find out if you are one of the above or is it something else that draws you to buy, i know what is next for me, hoping for a good debate :?:

I look at the british, american and asia markets and when I see a dip in the charts I pounce. I like Baird & Co London and Scottsdale America top quality silver. I also purchase bullion by post based here in Australia from the Perth Mint and The Royal Australian Mint. Look around for less premiums is always good advice on all silver. One bit of additional info don't buy from Ebay there more cons in there then in prisons. Personally 10oz or 1kg for me always have less markup. Remember Silver is Silver CliffB.

I like these and own 4 so far.

10oz.jpg
10oz.jpg (41.82 KiB) Viewed 730 times

Gold Bird ;)

Firman
Rank 1
Rank 1
Indonesia

Postby Firman » 23 August 2016

For me, silver is silver , either silver bars , coins and more.
As long as we know this silver trade route would be many fans who will buy it.
Silver refining results I achieved levels of 99.98 % I could mention this figure because pure silver I have in a laboratory test by an enterprise brand silver bullion in my country , and finally they accepted my silver in large quantities .
Until today, I still supply it .
Regards,
Attachments
IMG_20160526_124240.jpg

Tom Silver
Rank 5
Rank 5
United States of America

Postby Tom Silver » 23 August 2016

I like the 1kg Pamp Sussie....Low Spot, good name. Silver is silver as we agree here.

There is better for each person, which may not be best for all. It just depends on what you think works best for your plan. Some people only want government issued items for security, some want generic to get more silver for their money, others think fractional pieces will be best in a barter situation - they are all right for their thinking. But always know who you are buying from, and find out if they will buy it back from you when you decide to sell. Many places will sell silver, but they won't buy it back from you, or have high minimum amounts for returns.

Thornside
Rank 6
Rank 6
United States of America

Postby Thornside » 23 August 2016

Tom Silver wrote:

I like the 1kg Pamp Sussie....Low Spot, good name. Silver is silver as we agree here.

There is better for each person, which may not be best for all. It just depends on what you think works best for your plan. Some people only want government issued items for security, some want generic to get more silver for their money, others think fractional pieces will be best in a barter situation - they are all right for their thinking. But always know who you are buying from, and find out if they will buy it back from you when you decide to sell. Many places will sell silver, but they won't buy it back from you, or have high minimum amounts for returns.

Low premium is key. Silver is becoming more and more un available there for more rare sense it's high in demand not in jewelry but to make stuff it's a good matirial and were using more then we are mining pretty soon it should be worth more then gold...

Silver Rocket
Rank 5
Rank 5
Canada

Postby Silver Rocket » 23 August 2016

Morgan is correct here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZqD7ZkLkFY

I started buying coins (Eagles, Britannias) but milk spots began popping up on them and I could see toning. This happened quickly, despite their being in air-tight holders. It's pissing me off so much that I'm just saying the hell with it, I'll start buying those "ugly" poured bars. That way, I save myself from the torture of having to watch those beautiful coins turn ugly. Ha. I'll save whatever numismatic value I desire for gold, as it's toning is far slower and more subtle, and no milk spots either. And yes, I know toning can sometimes add value, but still..

For me it makes no sense to buy bars. Chose the right coins and your investment will go up even when the price of silver goes down. i see people desperately trying to buy as near to spot as possible. They are not thinking clearly. You buy as an investment, so buy semi-numismatic coins which will appreciate whatever. The added bonus is you have beautiful coins to look at instead of an ugly lump

CliffB
Rank 7
Rank 7
Great Britain

Postby CliffB » 23 August 2016

Great advice, and I only buy new in coins and I can't see me buying bars any other way,, I have asked a good question as you are all silver buyers and it is always good to seek the best advice from the people who know, thanks all

SilverSnake
Rank 4
Rank 4
United States of America

Postby SilverSnake » 11 September 2016

CliffB wrote:Great advice, and I only buy new in coins and I can't see me buying bars any other way,, I have asked a good question as you are all silver buyers and it is always good to seek the best advice from the people who know, thanks all

How do you sell them? If ever you decide to? Does coin shop buy at spot minus fixed charges or is it low balled? I'm sorry for asking basic.

CliffB
Rank 7
Rank 7
Great Britain

Postby CliffB » 12 September 2016

Hi SilverSnake, I wouldn't know about selling the coins I have bought, I sometimes sell the ones I find metal detecting, but that has a price per graded., maybe one of the other members can answer your question about selling Bullion coin mate

Golden Bull
Rank 5
Rank 5
Great Britain

Postby Golden Bull » 14 September 2016

The premium you pay on silver/gold is the cost above spot price a dealer will charge you for the Precious Metals. This cost is meant to cover their overhead as a dealer (keeping the lights on, storing the product, etc.) as well as a small margin of profit in each transaction. The more generic, or larger, or more common the kind of silver is, the lower the premium. Generic poured bars are cheaper than the "nice looking" bars/coins.

Return to “Silver Council”